Italian Pav Bhaji
Pav bhaji made with pasta, assorted vegetables, mixed herbs and served with French bread.
1 French bread, diagonally sliced
1 medium green capsicum, finely chopped
2 medium raw bananas, boiled, peeled and mashed
1 cup penne pasta, boiled and diagonally sliced
1 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 cups fresh tomato puree
4-6 basil leaves
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
½ teaspoon red chilli flakes + for sprinkling
1 teaspoon dried oregano + for sprinkling
3 tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese + for sprinkling
1 tablespoon butter + for spreading
Cheese spread for garnishing
1. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add capsicum and sauté for 1 minute. Add coriander leaves and bananas, mix and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and salt, mix, cook for 1 minute and mash the mixture. 3. Add tomato puree, mix, cover and cook till the mixture thickens. Add torn basil leaves, tomato ketchup, chilli flakes, dried oregano, cheese, pasta and butter, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Preheat oven at 180° C.
5. Spread some butter on the bread slices and place them on a baking tray. Sprinkle some cheese, chilli flakes and dried oregano on each slice.
6. Put the tray in the preheated oven and toast till the cheese melts.
7. Put bhaji in individual serving bowls, garnish with some cheese spread, place the toasted bread slices on top and serve hot.