Jain Stuffed Idli Fry
Idli with a surprise, stuffed with spicy, tangy raw banana stuffing.
Readymade idli batter as required
2 tablespoons dabeli masala
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil + for greasing and shallow-frying
2 teaspoons castor sugar
2 raw bananas, peeled, steamed and mashed
1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
Date-tamarind chutney for spreading and drizzling
Green chutney for spreading and drizzling
Spiced peanuts as required
1. Take dabeli masala in a bowl. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and mix well.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add dabeli masala mixture and sauté for 30 seconds. Add 1-2 tablespoons water and mix. Add castor sugar, mix and cook till it melts.
3. Add raw banana mash, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add desiccated coconut and coriander leaves, mix and cook for 1 minute. Transfer in a bowl and cool.
4. Heat some water in an idli steamer and bring to a boil.
5. Divide the cooked banana mixture into small equal portions, shape them into balls and lightly flatten.
6. Grease the idli moulds with some oil and pour 1 tablespoon of idli batter into each mould. Place one banana mixture portion in the center and pour some idli batter on top filling the remaining moulds.
7. Place the moulds in the hot steamer and steam for 10-15 minutes. Remove from steamer, slightly cool and demould.
8. Heat some oil in a non-stick pan and shallow-fry the steamed stuffed idlis from both sides till golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
9. Halve fried idlis, spread some date-tamarind chutney and green chutney on the halved side and place few spiced peanuts.
10. Drizzle some date-tamarind chutney and green chutney and serve immediately.