MEXICAN VADA PAV
Popular Indian Snack recipe of vada pav infused with mexican spices.
2 medium raw bananas, boiled, peeled and grated
4 burger buns
5-6 French beans, boiled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons boiled green peas
⅓ cup finely chopped mixed capsicum (red, yellow and green)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon Mexican sauce + as required
1 tablespoon oil + for deep-frying
1 teaspoon split black gram (urad dal)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
6-7 curry leaves
Oil for deep-frying
½ cup gram flour (besan)
Butter as required
4 cheese slices
½ medium cabbage, shredded
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon chaat masala
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 iceberg lettuce leaf
1. Mix together raw bananas, French beans, green peas, mixed capsicum and coriander leaves in a bowl. Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and 1 tablespoon Mexican sauce.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small non-stick tempering pan. Add black gram and sauté till golden brown. Add mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter.
3. Add green chillies and curry leaves, sauté for 30 seconds and add the tempering to the bowl. Mix well.
4. Divide the raw banana-vegetable mixture into equal portions and shape into vadas.
5. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
6. Mix together gram flour, salt and sufficient water in a bowl to make a smooth batter. Add 1 tablespoon hot oil and mix well.
7. Dip each vada in the batter and deep-fry in hot oil til golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
8. Halve the buns vertically. Apply some butter and Mexican sauce on the halved side of the buns.
9. To prepare one vada pav, place one vada and cheese slice on the base of the bun, cover with the top bun and apply some butter on top.
10. Heat an electric griller and grease with some butter. Place the vada pav, cover and cook till grill marks appear.
11. To prepare salad, mix together cabbage, chilli powder, chaat masala, salt and lemon juice in a bowl.
12. Brush some Mexican sauce on a serving platter. Place iceberg lettuce leaf in the center and place Mexican vada pav on top and serve hot with salad.