SCHEZWAN DUDHI NA MUTHIYA
Popular gujarati snack recipe of muthias made with grated bottle gourd and tossed in spicy schezwan sauce.
1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
¼ cup gram flour (besan)
1 tablespoon Jain schezwan sauce
1 medium bottle gourd (dodhi/lauki), peeled and grated
2-3 tablespoons semolina (rawa)
2-3 tablespoons finger millet (bajra) flour
1-2 green chillies, crushed
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
2-3 dried red chillies
5-6 curry leaves
1. Heat sufficient water in a deep non-stick pan. Place a steamer, cover and let the water boil.
2. Squeeze out excess water from bottle gourd and put in a bowl. Add wheat flour, gram flour, semolina, finger millet flour, green chillies, sugar, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, salt, soda bi carbonate, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon coriander leaves and mix. Add 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
3. Divide the mixture into equal large portion, shape into thick rolls and place in the hot steamer. Cover and steam for 30-35 minutes. Remove from steamer and cool.
4. Cut the muthias into 1 inch pieces.
5. Heat remaining oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add white sesame seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves and sauté till curry leaves crackle.
6. Add muthias, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add coriander leaves and schezwan sauce, mix, cover and cook for 2 minutes.